Banana Monkeys, by Olaf Breuning
Plastic ice cream cone (Half banana), signed by the artist Olaf Breuning, 2011
Provenance: Kreëmart, an organization devoted to getting contemporary artists to switch their materials to things like cookie dough and cake batter, for an evening of sweet, edible installations and performance art.
Size: 5″ L x 1″½ w
Olaf Breuning: (born 1970) is a Swiss-born artist who is currently living in New York.
- Home 1/Home 2 (2004/7)–30 minute video starring Brian Kerstetter. Home 1 is presented as a double-projection, where the main character can no longer distinguish the difference between reality and fiction. He wanders around a hotel room telling stories about himself and other people to the camera. As he tells the stories, they are simultaneously seen on the opposite screen. In Home 2 Brian Kerstetter plays an ignorant tourist staggering around the world from Switzerland to Africa and Japan to Papua New Guinea, crashing his western mentality upon the exotic places he goes.
- Ugly Yelp (2000), Apes (2001), King (2001), Hello Darkness (2002)–With these installations, Breuning creates theatrical atmospheres using sound, video and light. These installations have been shown in many museums and are owned by collections internationally.
- Easter Bunnies” (2004)–A photograph created on Easter Island, transforming the Moais sculptures into Easter bunnies by setting up rabbit ears on C-stands in the extreme foreground.
- Sibylle (1998)– Photograph of a female model lying on a table, whose body has been affected by cultural references to Matthew Barney, Cindy Sherman, Pablo Picasso, and others, resulting a creepily mutilated creature.
- Smoke Bombs (2008)–Exemplifies Breuning’s photographic technique of leaving the mess of production within frame, allowing the viewer to see behind the scenes of the production.
- In October 2008, Breuning had his third solo show at Metro Pictures Gallery, New York.